Friday, March 8, 2013

Stuffed Flank Steak~Easier Than it Looks!


Yes, I am racing around still working at completing my taxes, but when I saw this Pinterest post and realized I had the ingredients on hand I just had to try my own version and do a quick post to pass it on and yes it was easier than I thought! So stop thinking about it and DO IT!

Stuffed Flank Steak
Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 20 minutes
Roast: at 425 degrees F. for 35 minutes
Broil: 10 minutes

Ingredients

1 flank steak (1 1/2 to 2 pounds)
1 package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
1/2 cup crumbled Gruyère cheese
1 jar (7 ounces) roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
2 tablespoons seasoned dry bread crumbs
1 egg yolk - slightly beaten
3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil

I used Gruyère but you could use blue cheese or even feta. It is also important to squeeze as much water out of the spinach as possible (true confessions, this is on the "top of things I hate to do with food" list).  Remember to salt and pepper per the instructions!

Carefully slice flank steak through the thin edge so it opens like a book. (see photo below)
Score meat by making shallow diagonal cuts at 1-inch intervals in a diamond pattern on both sides. Place meat between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Working from center to edges, pound with flat side of a meat mallet into 12x8-inch rectangle. Remove plastic wrap. Sprinkle meat with the salt and pepper.

Combine beaten egg yolk, bread crumb and spinach together Spread the spinach mixture over the steak. Sprinkle with the roasted red peppers and Gruyère cheese.  Roll the steak up from a short side. Secure with baking twine and wooden toothpicks at 1-inch intervals, starting 1/2 inch from 1 end.
 
Place seam-side down in a baking dish. Rub flank steak with olive oil. Bake at 425° for 35 minutes.  Broil 3 to 4 inches from the heat to desired color and done-ness, turning once. Watch closely so as not to let the steak dry out. Before serving, remove the toothpicks. ;)



The tricky part is slicing the flank steak to open it up like a book. Have a sharp knife on hand. I did have a few slips and puncture holes, but no worries. Also remember to pound and flatten the thicker areas of the steak.


Tie it all up with kitchen twine. You place the stuffing about one inch from the edges but it will still want to fall out, just stuff it back in, no worries. The recipe doesn't indicate a particular baking pan, this one worked. Also, I turned the temperature down to 420° as my oven runs hot. Adjust to fit your own quirky oven.


I shortened the time under the broiler to keep the flank steak from drying out...glad I did! Just keep an eye on it, you just want to brown it up for presentation. In my photo the outside of my steak looks dry but it was not and the filling was moist and delicious.

The flank steak was cooked perfectly, tender and flavorful. I served it with a side of simple mashed sweet potatoes topped with butter and salt. The potatoes were a nice bit of sweetness with the savory stuffing. Michael gave this dish a triple thumb's up! If I can do this after a twelve hour tax prep marathon, so can you!  Bon Appetit!





No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...