Monday, July 15, 2013

Anne's Steak Salad


In the mid-70's I was a young wife stationed with my, then husband at Homestead Air Force Base (another life!). We lived on base next to the most delightful couple, John and Anne Anthony. John was a nurse at the base hospital and Anne was a prolific cook, crafts-person, mom, and good friend. In fact, I credit Anne with convincing me that motherhood was a meaningful and worthwhile endeavor. Not by her word, but by her deed. She was and is a terrific mom. She was also a seasoned cook and schooled me, using kindness and humor, in the kitchen. I would like to share with you, Anne's recipe for steak salad, a recipe I like as much today as I did thirty-six years ago.

This easy breezy recipe requires one plan-ahead ingredient, a good, grilled steak. When we have steak for dinner I like to grill an extra one just to make this salad. I have also been known to save half of my steak just so I could make this recipe the next day. Use the same cut of steak you love to grill. We prefer a ranch steak or a nice small sirloin. I cook ours medium rare, grill it, let it cool, then toss it in the fridge in a covered dish. The next day I slice it up with the veggies put it back in the fridge and let it soak up the marinade overnight.

My photographs show a slightly altered version of this recipe using what I had on hand this week; sweet peppers and no mushrooms, but the recipe below is the real deal. Easy to change out the veggies to your liking but keep the tarragon, as it adds a nice depth of flavor to the steak. This is one of Michael's favorites!

Anne's Steak Salad
From the kitchen of Anne Anthony
Serves 4 for dinner or 6 for lunch

1 1/2 lb. beef sirloin 1 1/2" thick (or steak of choice) grilled medium to medium rare
1 jar slice button mushrooms drained (4 1/2oz)  (I only use Green Giant brand, as they are packed in glass)
1 medium green bell pepper, cored and sliced into rings

Slice the meat against the grain into 3/8" strips. Arrange in the bottom of a 9" x 13" glass baking dish. Layer mushrooms on top of meat and top with sliced bell peppers.


Dressing:

2 cloves fresh garlic, peeled and crushed with flat blade of knife
1/3 cup good quality red wine vinegar
1/4 cup salad oil (I also use grape seed oil)
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
12 teaspoon onion salt
1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon leaves
1/4 freshly ground black pepper

In a small bowl, whisk together all the dressing ingredients.
Pour over meat and vegetables.
Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours and as long as 24, spooning marinade over vegetables occasionally.

For the Salad:

Wash, drain and tear fresh leaf lettuce or use one bag of prepared lettuces.
1 cup cherry tomatoes sliced in half

To finish the salad: Place salad ingredients in a large bowl, add meat, vegetables and marinade and toss well. Serve with a crunchy French bread and light bodied red wine...great for hot summer evenings and good enough for company! Thanks Anne! Miss you!






No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...