Thursday, December 22, 2011

MORE Brussels Sprouts

Since I am a major Brussels sprouts fan, I was thrilled when my friend Susan recommended this great looking side dish from Tyler Florence. I need something today I know I can cook after my caramel melt-down (no pun intended!).
This is a great recipe; so full of flavor this will make sprout lovers out of haters! Here is the link for Tyler's recipe  Bacon and Brussels Sprout Hash on the Food Network


Prep:
Brussels sprouts (see how here) and cut them in half
Slice potatoes (I only had red potatoes so I sliced them 1/2")
Slice the bacon into 2" strips
I had Trader Joe's frozen pearl onions which worked out great



Set a large sauté pan over medium heat and add a 2 Tbs of olive oil. Cut bacon into long strips and add to pan together with thyme. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes to render the fat then strain and set bacon aside.



Add Brussels sprouts, potatoes and pearl onions. Season with salt and pepper and cook until slightly browned. Remove the thyme stems.


Add chicken stock and steam for 10 - 20 min. (depending on the size of your veggies) until liquid has evaporated and vegetables are fork tender.



Add 2 Tbs of good balsamic vinegar and toss to coat. Cook until balsamic has reduced then fold in fresh parsley and bacon.


 This is the perfect side for your holiday dinner, even if you have haters among you! Yum! Enjoy!

1 comment:

Maria Rose said...

I spent years in fear of the sprouts, but they are so good when cooked properly!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...