Saturday, December 3, 2011

Roast Chicken to Swoon Over...



I once watched Nigella Lawson cook a roast chicken on her television show and when she tasted it, well, let's just say, it "transported" her. I had never felt that way about a roast chicken, usually opting for the (gulp) grocery store version to fill in for dinner after a late night at work. In fact, I was certain it had to be difficult, messy and totally not worth the time to roast my own chicken. Enter, Ina Garten's Lemon and Garlic Roast Chicken. I finally know why Nigella was swooning. This is hands down the tastiest roast chicken ever. It is worth every minute of prep time. Additionally, cooking your own chicken saves money! Not to mention, you know where that chicken as been! I buy organic, free range, etc...it is worth it, as the chicken is always superior in taste and texture.

Since this is Ina's recipe, I want to honor her copyright, so you can get all the ingredients and instructions here. But I am going to walk you through my prep. Do it, you won't regret it! Oh, and having a roast chicken in the fridge to munch on? Like money in the bank! Enjoy!!

 I like to prep the stuffing ingredients before I start messing with the chicken. You will be stuffing this organic beauty with a bunch of fresh thyme, two sliced lemons and a entire head of garlic (sliced in half lengthwise). No need to peel garlic or stem the thyme. Rinse your chicken, pat dry with a paper towel, set it in your backing dish, sprinkle the inside with salt and pepper, then get stuffing!

Brush the outside with about 2 Tbs. melted unsalted butter, sprinkle with salt and pepper, then tie the legs together with some kitchen twine.

Now you are ready to put some bacon on it! I know, butter, bacon...but keep in mind, you are about to be transported!!

All stuffed and tied up pretty with a bacon wrap (about 5 pieces). Now scatter the remaining lemons and garlic around the chicken.


Bird's eye view. Bake uncovered in a 425° oven for 1 hour, remove the bacon and bake for another 1/2 hour or until juices run clear when the thigh is pierced.


Ina's recipe goes on to make a white wine gravy with the drippings and all that lemony, garlicky goodness. It sounds wonderful but I never get to it. I am always too anxious to start carving the bird! Let me know if you try it!

Ready, set...swoon!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...