Thursday, April 12, 2012

Carrot Soup Obsession

I saw this recipe yesterday from Faith Duran at "the Kitchn" and went immediately into curried coconut carrot soup obsession! This is as wonderful as it sounds, so easy to prepare and tastes like you spent hours figuring it all out. It also happens to be vegan, gluten-free and soy-free for all my cosmic daughters out there...you know who you are! Lots of love today and Enjoy!! P.S. don't let the "heat" scare you off, adjust the chili flakes to your personal heat meter and use the freshest, sweetest organic carrots you can find.

Curried Coconut Carrot Soup
serves 6 to 8 by Faith Duran at theKitchn.com

2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped
6 cups carrots, unpeeled and roughly chopped (this required 8 medium-sized carrots for me)
3 1/2 cups vegetable stock (I like the flavor of 'No Chicken' stock by Imagine Foods)
One 15-ounce can full-fat coconut milk (full-fat is a must)
1 1/2 tablespoons freshly chopped ginger root
1 tablespoon curry powder (I used Madras curry powder)
1/2 teaspoon chili flakes (I cut this amount to 1/4 tsp. for us wimps, it was perfect)
Salt and pepper to taste (I used about 1 tsp. kosher salt and no pepper)

Heat the coconut oil in a large soup pot and add the onions. Sweat the onions on medium heat for about 7 minutes. Add the carrots and cook for another 5 minutes. Pour in the stock and coconut milk. Add the ginger, curry powder and chili flakes. Put a lid on the pot and cook until the carrots are softened, about 10 or 15 minutes.
When carrots are soft, carefully blend the soup in batches in a blender (use a towel to hold the lid down firmly) or use an immersion hand blender and puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper and garnish with fresh herbs, and more chili flakes, if desired.

 Precise chopping is not necessary, just get in the pan!


 Easy sauté, the whole dish comes together in about 30 minutes.


 I used my immersion blender to puree, which left tiny bits of ginger, but I liked that!
 Paired with a grilled cheese sandwich, this soup made a very satisfying casual supper. Bon Appetit!

2 comments:

Onlythemanager said...

That looks so good! And of course I love that it is vegan since I often have vegan visitors.

Victoria said...

I know you do!! If you like a little bit of ginger spice and heat you will love this soup!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...