Friday, May 11, 2012

About the Rain

Yesterday and today have been about the rain. It has been four months(?)since our last rainfall and we have had two glorious days of rain; that ground-soaking, misty-cloudy, "my lungs are jumping for joy" rain. I have very special company arriving tomorrow and I should be cooking and cleaning, but the rain sings a siren's song and I cannot resist.

This wet ground gives up the weeds without the usual hand-numbing yanking and pulling, so off I went early this morning, on a weed-pulling frenzy. I filled a wheelbarrow...and then some. What a joy!

Next? A perfect day to finish building our rock wall! The completing of this long overdue task also made easier by the steady day-long drizzle. Pulling rocks out of the soil and stacking them and moving the dirt around, just like building sandcastles on the beach!  Five hours later and drenched to the bone, I noticed my feet were getting cold, the only reason I stopped, cold feet and the need for hot tea.

 I made a lot of head-way but left some for Mike to do ;)

 Yay! I made it to the end of the front of the berm.

What else could I do to add to the perfection of the day? Green Chili Stew!! Here is my recipe. This dish always makes Mike swoon.


New Mexico Green Chili Stew

2 Tbs vegetable oil
2 Tbs bacon drippings
2 lbs. beef sirloin OR tenderized round steak, cut into 1" cubs
1 tsp salt (more to taste)
1/2 tsp black pepper (more to taste)
1/4 cup flour
3-4 cups roasted mind or medium roasted green chili, peeled, seeded and cut cross-wise
  into 1" slices ( I have these on hand in the freezer) You can also use frozen chilies from the grocery,
  Hatch green chilies are best.
2 cups carrots, diced (optional)
1 sweet onion, diced
2 cups peeled red bliss potatoes cut into 1"cubes (I don't peel if the skins are thin)
8 cloves garlic, minced
3 quarts of water, more if needed, I like my stew "soupy" so I use 4 quarts of water


Prepare the chilies by roasting on the grill until the skins pop and are slightly browned/blackened. Seal chilies in a zip-lock to sweat the skins. Wearing acrylic gloves, peel, seed and chop the cooled chilies.

Salt and pepper the steak, heat the oil and bacon drippings on high heat in a large deep pan, dredge the steak quickly in the flour and toss into the pot, when browned on all sides, add the water, green chili, carrots, onion, potatoes and garlic. Bring to a boil then simmer until potatoes are tender. Serve in big bowls with warm tortillas on the side. Warming and satisfying.
Have a wonderful weekend everyone! 



1 comment:

Maria Rose said...

Oh I can almost smell the wet mesquite!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...