Friday, May 18, 2012

Kale Harvest



How best to prepare the highly anticipated kale harvested from my flowerpot garden?? I found a terrific looking, simple but tasty (a bit like a lighter version of a frittata) recipe online from the Kitchn. Enjoy! I did!!

Artichoke, Kale & Ricotta Pie
from the Kitchn
Serves 4-6

Olive oil
4 eggs, beaten
8 oz ricotta cheese
4 oz Parmesan, grated
1 cup canned artichokes, chopped
1 bunch (3 to 4 large stalks) nero cavola kale, rib removed and leaves roughly chopped (I used my curly kale, so sautéed it in a little olive oil for 3 minutes to soften)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a 9-inch cake pan lightly with olive oil (I used a 8-1/2"spring form pan and my pie was ready in 35 minutes)



In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, ricotta cheese and Parmesan. Roughly chop the artichokes and thinly slice the kale leaves and add to the cheese and egg mixture. Season lightly with salt and generously with black pepper. Stir until combined.




Pour contents of bowl into the greased cake pan and drizzle with olive oil. Cook until custard is set, about 40-50 minutes. Cool on a wire rack 5-10 minutes and serve.


You could easily substitute veggies. I made this dish with lunch in mind, but paired with a green salad, this would make a nice light summer supper. A fitting finale for my first ever kale harvest!



1 comment:

Maria Rose said...

Yum, kale is so versatile!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...