Saturday, February 25, 2012

Dark 'n' Stormy

I have been on the hunt for the perfect ginger beer. "What's the problem?" you might ask. Well, I am hooked on a cocktail my brothers were enjoying last summer at my son's wedding in Rhode Island; the spicy, gingery rum-based "Dark 'n' Stormy". It seems this Eastern seaboard phenomena has not yet hit the Southwest so I am single-handedly educating every liquor store owner between El Paso, Texas and Albuquerque, New Mexico! This highball, which hails from the British Commonwealth of Bermuda is made with Goslings Black Seal Rum and ginger beer, which is nothing like ginger ale and both of which are impossible to find! This cocktail is spicy, bold, not too sweet and very refreshing. Now, to find the ingredients stocked locally...I'm working on it!

I have tried several different ginger beers, but what you are going for here is spicy not sweet, so no Vernors ginger ale! The Fever-Tree ginger beer, imported from the UK is my favorite, Fentimans is a close second Goslings brand ginger beer is third with Bundaberg last, it is nice and spicy but too sweet...it will do in a pinch though!  
Dark 'n' Stormy
For one drink

2 oz Gosling's® Black Seal rum
4-6 oz ginger beer 
lime wedge

Fill an old-fashioned glass 3/4 full with ice, squeeze lime wedge over the ice. Drop the wedge into the glass. Add the ginger beer to top off the ice, then slowly drizzle the rum onto the surface so it floats. Garnish with another slice of lime. Resist the temptation to stir...and voilĂ ! Let that stormy rum sky float to the bottom of your glass while you sit back and do the slow ginger burn, yum! Summer's around the corner! Have a Happy Weekend! Cheers!


 

3 comments:

Maria Rose said...

Sounds like a great drink for me to try in late July!

Unknown said...

Hi - Right now I'm baking a Dark N Stormy cake (my own recipe) and was looking to see if anybody else had a recipe. I came across this entry and have to recommend Barritt's Ginger beer. This is the mixer used in Bermuda where the Dark N Stormy was invented.

It's rather mild as ginger beer goes, but perfect for this drink.

Unknown said...

Specs here in El Paso carries the ginger beer, I use it to make Moscow mules and it's good in fresh lemonade too!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...