Sunday, March 18, 2012

Vintage Terrarium and a Mermaid

I have always been fascinated by terrariums...tiny little micro climates, dreamy little landscapes and, something perpetually green (a novelty here in the desert). When I was buying for my gift shop, I was always drawn to dramatic containers, tall glass vessels, bulbous hanging planters and thought I would one day like to use one for a terrarium...but never took one home, darn. No worries! A while ago I found this vintage reptile vivarium. The wooden frame is wonderfully worn and the glass has a few scratches, but I think it adds to the charm. I researched the "how to's"...what a fun project.


I have a special leading lady to inhabit this lush space. I have had this sweet mermaid since I was a girl...so long in fact, she is considered vintage! LOL You can see she has taken some hits and needs a safe place to live!


 The vintage terrarium - an awesome garage sale find...


 A few favorite GREEN plants...


 Nice clean rocks for drainage...


 A layer of charcoal to keep the terrarium smelling sweet...


The combo of rocks, charcoal and soil should be about one third the height of the terrarium...
Remember not to water, just mist...and remove all dead foliage and try to plant away from the glass. Most importantly, no direct sunlight for this type of terrarium.

 Placing the plants...top view...


 ...side view (such as it is! not easy to photograph clear glass)...


 Now the fun part...

 A happy abode for my sweet vintage mermaid and a lot of enjoyment for me!
Almost any vessel can become a terrarium...happy hunting and have a great Sunday!






Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...