Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Beets That Aren't "Yucky"



It is no secret in my family that I loath beets. I know, loath is a strong word, but since that first moment  I caught the malodorous scent of canned beets, and worse, my mother "canning" pickled beets, I have been a hater. Of course, my siblings have been ruthless and "on the tease" since they discovered my beet-hate, as children, piling my dinner plate with beets or slipping the odd "pickled" beet into a lunch bucket, as adults, actually mailing me canned beets and taunting me at restaurants, "Mmmmm...I think I'll order the beets Vic, want some...?" Well, it all stops here. I have been on the hunt for years and have finally found the recipe that changes the course of my beet-hating history. These are the best beets you'll (I'll) ever eat. Yes, I ate a plateful, so there! Siblings!! p.s. It helps that beets are beautiful.

Sautéed Beets and Beet Greens with Red Onions and Garlic  From the October issue 2011 of Fine Cooking Magazine,

This is a simple but delicious sauté. I served it with Trader Joe's Sweet Basil chicken wursts and roasted new potatoes. It is so rich and yummy, it could stand on its own.
Beet greens will continue to draw nourishment from the root so beets store better if you cut off the greens, wash, dry and wrap them and store them in the fridge. The beet root can be stored in the vegetable drawer but do not wash until ready to use. I recommend farm fresh if you can get them. These are the beets from my trip to Cider Mills Farm. View that great basket of veggies here.

Serves 4
2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
1/2  small red onion, thinly sliced
3 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced
4 medium beets (about 12 oz. without greens), trimmed, peeled
   halved, and sliced into 1/4-inch-thick half-moons
10 Cups lightly packed stemmed beet greens ( used far less and it was still great)
Sea salt
1 Tbs. red wine vinegar
Freshly ground black pepper



Heat 1 Tbs. of the olive oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until golden brown, 4-6 minutes. Add the sliced garlic and continue to cook until the onion is very tender and browned, 1-2 minutes more.
Add the beets, and stir until coated in the oil. Add the 1/4 cup water, cover, and cook until beets are almost tender, 5-7 minutes. Scatter the greens over the beets, and sprinkle with a couple pinches of salt. Cover and cook, stirring once or twice, until the beets and beet greens are tender 5-7 minutes
Remove from the heat and drizzle with the vinegar and the remaining 1 Tbs olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.

Yummy, not Yucky! Next recipe, a chocolate cake made with beets! Really...
Enjoy!

5 comments:

ilikepie! said...

Purely this is a ruse to get your sibs to stop teasing you! I don't think one little'ol recipe is enough to turn you to the "Crimson Side". You must dig deeper into the
pickled abyss to show your true alliance to the mighty Beet! Moohahahahahaah!

Victoria said...

"Noooooo, Dudley, save me!"

Onlythemanager said...

That looks delicious! But then again, I've not yet met a beet i didn't love.

Onlythemanager said...

...but I'm really anxious for the chocolate cake recipe. Are you serious?

Victoria said...

Seriously Susan!! Will post soon! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...