Thursday, October 13, 2011

A New Favorite ~ Creamy Carrot Soup with Fresh Dill

 
I cannot seem to get enough soup right now. I must be longing for the coziness of winter after such a long hot summer. This soup comes together quickly and makes the house smell divine and using vegetable stock makes it oh so vegan! This recipe comes from the "Once Upon a Tart..."cookbook by Frank Mentesana and Jerome Audureau. See more about them here. It looks as though I will be cooking my way through this wonderful book.
This soup sweet, rich and full of flavor. I used farm fresh carrots and dill from you know where...Cider Mills Farm, NM!


Creamy Carrot Soup with Fresh Dill 
Serves 6
1 big yellow onion, coarsely chopped
1 Tbs unsalted butter
1 Tbs olive oil
2 pounds medium carrots (8-10), peeled and coarsely chopped
1 big russet potato, peeled and diced ( I had golden potatoes so that is what I used)
4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
1/4 cup shopped fresh dill, plus more to top the soup
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 light cream 

Sauté the onion in the butter and oil in a large soup pot over high heat. Lower the heat if you see the onion browning, about 5-10 minutes, lower the heat and continue to cook until translucent.

Add the carrots and potato, cook for 15-20 minutes until some of the potatoes are slightly browned.
Add the stock to the soup pot, bring to a boil over high heat. Lower the heat and simmer for 30-40 minutes, until the carrots are soft enough to mash against the side of the soup pot with a fork.
Careful not to reduce the stock too much, I ended up covering the pot but leaving the lid slightly ajar.

Purée the soup. You can remove the soup (after it cools a bit) from the pot and use your food processor or blender fitted with a metal blade. You may have to do this in batches...carefully! Hot soup! I prefer the immersion blender. I love this tool, see one here! I like to purée right in the soup pot. Purée until the soup is smooth.

With the soup back in the pot, stir in chopped dill, salt and pepper and cream. Warm over medium heat before serving. This soup is thick, but not so thick that your spoon stands up in it! 
Add more cream to think it. Serve warm with chopped fresh dill.


I love the rich golden color!  This recipe just made my top ten favorites list!!



...just as tasty chilled for lunch the next day...still yummy!  Do you have a fall-favorite soup?

2 comments:

Maria Rose said...

Vegan cream, butter and the veg stcok. I am all over it!

Victoria said...

I knew you would be!! The market carrots were so good in this, sweet, not bitter, yum

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...